Abdominal Tutorial<br>Ruth Alpert<br>Tutorial 1737

Abdominal Tutorial
Ruth Alpert
Tutorial 1737

Watch this Tutorial
yes, I agree, rounded spine could be a problem. Such a dilemna, since that is when the abs are most clearly doing their job. Well, their job is also to bring the ribs down when exhaling, so you could start there! "Pregnant Cat" is another good one.
PS: My client with the ab surgery can't sense her abs, so I give her lots of feedback/encouragement when I feel them working (no matter how tiny) even if she can't. Perhaps your client could use similar feedback???
1 person likes this.
Thanks so much again! I was trying to explain to a class this morning but fell short on the interesting facts you brought to light! Cant wait to play 'ABS' with my next class.
Thanks Paula Walmsley! Appreciate your feedback. A week from saturday I film a few tutorials again - "stay tuned".
This confirms, and clarifies, what I've learned the hard way through years of Pilates. And provided anatomical information that I hadn't known! Love it.
1 person likes this.
Thanks Shelley. Really glad you got validation by it! (I love it when that happens to me, it's how I learned to trust my instincts...)
Ursa Z
1 person likes this.
Ruth Alpert, thank you for great learning cues!
I do have a question about proper stabilization, though (I'm having a lot of trouble activating my abdominals, I've been dealing with chronic back and neck pain). So, recently, I attended DNS course (dynamic neuromuscular stabilization) where we discussed the proper stabilization mechanics. Basically, the concept presented is the opposite of the 'drawing in/pulling up' sensation, that is, the umbilicus supposedly travelling slightly caudally (distributing the pressure evenly in all directions). Neither works for me since it seems that I'm either pushing the belly out or pulling it in excessively. Any advice/comment?
Hi Ursa, thanks for your feedback and question. I do have a thought, although without seeing you in front of me live, I can't be sure. I expect that you've been over-efforting, working too hard - in whatever technique of ab work you've been taught. I believe the abs are merely a part of any movement, not the whole show, and they should work only in the amount required to meet the task. What if you relaxed your "core" and did half as much contraction as you are used to; footwork on the reformer is a safe place to play with this. Roll-back on the Cadillac is also a place that you have support so can safely play with doing 50% of your normal effort. If I'm way off track here, and that's not the problem, let me know.... I'd be happy to do a skype session with you to figure this out, if you'd like.
Ursa Z
Hi, thank you very much for taking time and replying me in more detail. Yes, I would say I'm overthinking it, but that is probably due to the fear of hurting my spine even more, although I know that is merely the psychological side effect of my long-lasting pain. I seem to be afraid of pressing my lumbar spine into C form, since I always have this idea of putting too much pressure on the spine itself. I think this has improved in the last few months by following some of the basics here on Pilates Anytime, but I still do not feel that I'm contracting abs properly. Would love to have a skype session if you happen to find some time in, I'm sure, quite busy schedule. Thanks again, will consider going to some pilates studio to try with the help of the machines.
Hi Ursa, contact me via email, ruth@ruthalpert.com and let's figure out a skype. Where are you located?
61-70 of 76

You need to be a subscriber to post a comment.

Please Log In or Create an Account to start your free trial.

Footer Pilates Anytime Logo

Move With Us

Experience Pilates. Experience life.

Let's Begin